While working with MongoDB you’ll often run into situations where you need to get data out of your server. MongoVUE has some built-in exporting capabilities that make it fairly simple to fetch data in CSV and Microsoft Excel formats. Let’s explore this feature in detail.
Data can be exported from “View” and “Find” options through the “Refresh" dropdown and “More” dropdown respectively, as displayed below.
Upon clicking the Export menu, you’ll get a popup window as shown below. The combo-box at the top allows you to select the format in which you want to export the data. Currently following 3 formats are available:
- CSV or Comma Separated Values
- TSV or Tab Separated Values
- MS Excel format
Each format displays a number of settings (fairly obvious) that allow you to fine-tune the data exported. Majority of times, these setting should work as is, without any modifications.
Now lets get to the last step – MongoVUE gives you 3 buttons for exporting your data.
- Clipboard: When you click on this button, the selected data is copied to clipboard. You can now go to a suitable application and “Paste”/Ctrl+V to get this data.
- Instance: Launches the notepad (or the correct application) and with the selected data in it.
- File: Opens a “File Save As” dialog, allowing you to save the selected data to a file on your disk.
Please note that support for other export formats (like Json and Xml) are on the roadmap and will be added in future.